Subject: Re: Thunderbird and patches

From: Jeremy White <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:55:02 -0600

>     * I strong suggest to send inline attachments (Content-Disposition:
>       inline, RFC 2183 [1], Internet Standard), because patches are
>       arguably files, and the body is for human language text.
>       Therefore, it's an attachment that you want to see inline,
>       therefore inline attachment is the IMHO correct solution.
>       If some mailers cannot handle this comfortably (display inline,
>       quote), maybe you can also advocate having *them* fixed.

So, I start an email in Thunderbird, and attach test.patch to it.
I don't see a way to control things, but it seems to go across as
a multipart; the patch is disposition inline, type of text/x-patch.  I
rename it to test.txt, and now it goes across as a multipart, both parts
are text/plain.

I get the patch, and I can see it.  Very nice.

I click 'Reply', and I get no quoting in Thunderbird.  (A quick check
with mutt *does* show quoting.)

I'm hazarding a guess that is not the expected result; am I doing it wrong?

Cheers,

Jeremy