Subject: Re: git-cvsimport : fatal: 'Root_branche_2_0_*_' is not a valid tag name.

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:32:24 +0100

Prenom Nom wrote:
> i'd like to import a project from CVS.

If you can do this as a one-time conversion, please consider using
cvs2git [1].

> The cvs commits are done using
> Cp1252 encoding charset. The thing is i cannot change the .git/config
> file since the repo is created by git-cvsimport. So how can i use the
> good charset ?

cvs2git can convert the encoding of filenames, log messages, and author
names during the conversion.

> during a run of git-cvsimport, i got this error :
> fatal: 'Root_branche_2_0_*_' is not a valid tag name.
> Cannot create tag Root_branche_2_0_*_: Bad file descriptor

cvs2git can arbitrarily transform tag and branch names during the
conversion via user-specified transformation rules.

> I can't use -p -b xxx since i would like to test branch merging in git
> so i need HEAD AND some CVS branch (you can't use -b 2 times for cvsps).
> 
> So i guess i won't be able to test git branch merging...

Long-term synchronization between CVS and git is fragile.  Consider
converting to git altogether.  If that is not possible for political or
technical reasons, consider converting your repository to Subversion
(IMHO a no-brainer in even the most conservative shop), then using
git-svn as a git-to-Subversion bridge (it is much more reliable than
git-to-CVS).

Michael

[1] http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/cvs2git.html