Subject: Re: disallowing push to currently checked-out branch

From: Sergio Callegari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 01:41:40 +0100

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Of course, you can go on and on and on with the detached HEAD ide, but so 
> far you haven't convinced me that this is a sensible thing to do.
>   
I will not... it's time to sleep where I am! And I am just a user of git 
and you are a developer, which makes me think that you might know much 
better.
But the exchange was insightful, thanks.

Rather, I'll turn again the question...

Let us assume that I am working on branch B and that my worktree is 
based on commit XYZ. Let's also assume that someone pushes behind my 
shoulders and moves the tip of B (or even deletes B alltogether) either 
in one or in multiple pushes.  Is there an easy way so that I can now 
find out at what commit (XYZ) I was before the push(es)?  That would 
already make me quite satisfied, because with this I can write wrappers 
or aliases that can check the HEAD against that commit on every 
status/commit operation and warn the user just in case.

Sergio

> Ciao,
> Dscho