Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] RUNTIME_PREFIX enhancements

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:38:42 +0100

Johannes Schindelin schrieb:
> When I ran "make" in msysGit's /git/, I was greeted by a pretty unfriendly 
> message about a RUNTIME_PREFIX that could not be determined.

;)

I have a patch in my private tree that removes the warning.

Actually I wouldn't mind the warning because it is only visible for 
developers. Unfortunately, it is poison for gitk (you know, Tcl/Tk 
treats any output on stderr as program failure...)

> The real meat comes in patch 2/2:
> 
> The problem is that Windows will look in the current directory before 
> looking in the PATH when it tries to execute a program.  So it will find 
> the executable C:\msysgit\git\git.exe and be unable to strip the suffices 
> "libexec/git-core" or "bin".
> 
> I just added "git" (which should not hurt other users, but instead help 
> them if they did not install Git but run it in-place).

This only silences the warning, but there is no guarantee that the 
resulting git suite works because your msysgit developer may not have 
installed stuff in C:\msysgit\libexec\git-core, yet. What the patch does 
is exactly the same as if the compiled-in prefix that the warning 
mentions were used, which in the msysgit case on your machine happens to 
be C:\msysgit. Or am I missing something?

I think that the better solution is to remove the warning instead of 
introducing this special case suffix "git".

-- Hannes