Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] RUNTIME_PREFIX enhancements

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:52:19 +0100

Johannes Schindelin schrieb:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Johannes Sixt wrote:
>> This only silences the warning, but there is no guarantee that the 
>> resulting git suite works because your msysgit developer may not have 
>> installed stuff in C:\msysgit\libexec\git-core, yet.
> 
> The good thing: it still works.  Why?  Because Git actually does _not_ 
> search the Git binaries in libexec/git-core.  It adds that directory to 
> PATH and lets the PATH lookup handle the searching.  So it kind of works, 
> but in a different manner than you think it works.

I see why it works: Because we add argv0_path to PATH. I had forgotten 
about this fact. It comes after git_exec_path(), and so we pick up the 
binaries and shell scripts from the build directory if there is nothing 
in $prefix/libexec/git-core.

It's sad that your patch requires the source to live in a directory 
named 'git'. But I don't know how to do it better. :-(

-- Hannes