Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add bare repository indicator for __git_ps1

From: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:43:20 +0100

Junio C Hamano said the following on 21.02.2009 20:29:
> Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Prefixes the branch name with "BARE:" if you're in a bare
>> repository.
> 
> The updated code may correctly detect when you are in such a
> situation, but I have to wonder why anybody would even want to be
> reminded that he is in a bare repository to begin with.

Yeah I just noticed that, when I got some few cycles to spare. So I 
pushed out a v3 of that patch *sigh*

> For doing any usual work of growing history, you would work inside
> a repository with an work tree.  The only occasion you would *go*
> to a bare repository would be to tweak, futz with and fix one that
> is used as a distribution point, isn't it?  You usually update such
> a repository by pushing into it, so your being there would be a
> result of very conscious act of chdir'ing into it yourself, and you
> wouldn't be spending too much time in there anyway.
> 
> There may be a different workflow where you would stay in a bare 
> repository for an extended period of time and you would benefit
> from such a reminder like this patch adds, but I do not think of
> one.
> 
> Care to enlighten?

Right, I have quite a few repos on my machine which are just bare, as 
I use them gather branches and push out again. 
(http://repo.or.cz/w/git/platforms.git is one of them) However, it's 
probably just me, since I could just as easily put them in a proper 
directory structure to indicate their bareness.

Anyways, I just thought it would fairly "low cost" to add, and nice to 
have.

Consider it, as Linus coined the term, a throw-away patch. I can 
easily put it in my .bashrc instead. :)

--
.marius