Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add bare repository indicator for __git_ps1

From: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:03:29 +0100

Shawn O. Pearce said the following on 23.02.2009 16:42:
> Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Anyways, I just thought it would fairly "low cost" to add, and
>> nice to have.
> 
> Its not that low of a cost, its an extra fork+exec per prompt when
> in a .git/ or a bare repository.  Neither is very common when
> compared to a workdir, Junio's right about that.  But its YAFE.  ;)
> 
>> Consider it, as Linus coined the term, a throw-away patch. I can
>> easily put it in my .bashrc instead. :)
> 
> Like Junio, I'm not very compelled to include this patch.  I just 
> don't see enough to make including it worthwhile.

If so, then I'd like to argue to remove setting the fake "GIT_DIR!" 
branch in the ps, since it hinders me from constructing this, IMO 
useful prompt, "(BARE:master)" in my own .bashrc.

     ~/source/some_repo (GIT_DIR!)$
simply isn't useful to me, and neither is
     ~/source/some_repo (BARE:GIT_DIR!)$
of course. Now, if we remove setting the fake branch
     ~/source/some_repo (BARE:some/funky/branch)$
is doable for me in my own .bashrc, and by your argument, it would 
also make it more light weight, since you'd remove one extra fork+exec 
for *every single prompt* (and not just one extra when inside GIT_DIR).

^shrug^ at this point you and Junio can discuss what to do, as Junio 
already said

   | "I do not understand the need for GIT_DIR! thing even
   |  less, but since we have that there already, I do not
   |  see a reason not to add this to the queue."

And I have to agree with him. At this point, __git_ps1() is actually 
removing useful information from the prompt; at least it does for me.

-- 
.marius [@trolltech.com]
'if you know what you're doing, it's not research'