Subject: Re: [EGIT] [PATCH v1 1/1] Add an ignored icon

From: Tor Arne Vestbø <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 00:59:30 +0100

Ferry Huberts wrote:
> Add an ignored icon to the label decorations page and make
> sure that it is actually decorated: from now on do not ignore
> ignored resources during decoration.

The reason this was not added in the original series was because that's
kind of the point of ignoring a resource -- you don't want any
information about it. Also, none of the other team plugins provide
decorations for ignored resources-

On the other hand, since the decorators are now user configurable,
adding the option to allow users to enable decoration of ignored
resources if they really feel it's useful to them is admittedly in line
with the whole customization idea.

Though I'm not sure if this particular case of customization would cause
more confusion than good, for example in terms of which doors we open by
allowing ignored resources to actually not be ignored (i.e what other
features would you expect to work for ignored resources?).

>  		prefs.setDefault(UIPreferences.DECORATOR_SHOW_UNTRACKED_ICON, true);
> +		prefs.setDefault(UIPreferences.DECORATOR_SHOW_IGNORED_ICON, true);
>  		prefs.setDefault(UIPreferences.DECORATOR_SHOW_STAGED_ICON, true);

If applied, I would argue that the option should be _off_ by default, to
match the behavior of the other team plugins and the normal logical
action of ignoring a resource.

> +	/** Decoration for resource ignored by Git */
> +	public static final ImageDescriptor OVR_IGNORED;
> +

Side-note: the current decoration implementation only uses Eclipse's
concept of an ignored resource -- not .gitignore et al. since we don't
have a standard way of reading those yet.

Tor Arne