Subject: Re: [EGIT] [PATCH v1 1/1] Add an ignored icon

From: Tor Arne Vestbø <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:23:47 +0100

Ferry Huberts (Pelagic) wrote:
> On Tue, February 24, 2009 06:15, Ferry Huberts (Pelagic) wrote:
>> Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:
>>> Ferry Huberts wrote:
>>>> Add an ignored icon to the label decorations page and make
>>>> sure that it is actually decorated: from now on do not ignore
>>>> ignored resources during decoration.
>>> The reason this was not added in the original series was because that's
>>> kind of the point of ignoring a resource -- you don't want any
>>> information about it. Also, none of the other team plugins provide
>>> decorations for ignored resources-
>>>
>> I could also argue that I want everything to be explicit, even the
>> status of ignored files :-)

That's a reasonable argument :) I'm not really opposed to the feature -- 
I was just trying to think of reasons why it might not be such as good 
idea, just to be safe and have that discussion. But you are right.

Acked-by: Tor Arne Vestbø <[email-masked]>

>> If you look at (for example) TortoiseSVN then you'll see that it does
>> provide an ignore icon. My icon was sort of 'inspired' by that one.
>> Don't know if it's on by default though, will have to check that.
> 
> I just checked, TortoiseSVN has the overlay for ignored items on by default

The difference is TortoiseSVN does not come with a set of global default 
ignored files (as far as I know). Eclipse does, see Team->Ignored...

So, a globally ignored file such as foobar.BAK would show up as 
non-decorated if shared using the CVS or SVN plugins, but with an icon 
if shared with Git. That might be confusing to users, especially since 
the minus-sign icon does not have any history in Eclipse as something 
being "ignored" (it actually breaks the convention of using 
non-decoration -- meaning no "untracked"-icon -- to signal ignored).

So, I would still argue that we should leave it off by default.

Tor Arne