Subject: [PATCH 1/2] gitattributes.txt: Path matching rules are explained in gitignore.txt

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:54:42 +0100

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>

The rules how the patterns are matched against path names are the same
for .gitattribute and .gitignore files.

This also replace the notion "glob pattern" by "pattern" because
gitignore.txt talks about "glob" only in some contexts where the pattern
is mentioned.

Signed-off-by: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
---
 Junio C Hamano schrieb:
 > Actually, while I was responding to your message, I looked at
 > gitattributes documentation and noticed that it does not say anything
 > about how the "glob" is used to match paths.

 Here's a patch.

 -- Hannes

 Documentation/gitattributes.txt |   13 +++++++------
 1 files changed, 7 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/gitattributes.txt b/Documentation/gitattributes.txt
index 227934f..55668e3 100644
--- a/Documentation/gitattributes.txt
+++ b/Documentation/gitattributes.txt
@@ -18,10 +18,10 @@ A `gitattributes` file is a simple text

 Each line in `gitattributes` file is of form:

-	glob	attr1 attr2 ...
+	pattern	attr1 attr2 ...

-That is, a glob pattern followed by an attributes list,
-separated by whitespaces.  When the glob pattern matches the
+That is, a pattern followed by an attributes list,
+separated by whitespaces.  When the pattern matches the
 path in question, the attributes listed on the line are given to
 the path.

@@ -48,13 +48,14 @@ Set to a value::

 Unspecified::

-	No glob pattern matches the path, and nothing says if
+	No pattern matches the path, and nothing says if
 	the path has or does not have the attribute, the
 	attribute for the path is said to be Unspecified.

-When more than one glob pattern matches the path, a later line
+When more than one pattern matches the path, a later line
 overrides an earlier line.  This overriding is done per
-attribute.
+attribute.  The rules how the pattern matches paths are the
+same as in `.gitignore` files; see linkgit:gitignore[5].

 When deciding what attributes are assigned to a path, git
 consults `$GIT_DIR/info/attributes` file (which has the highest
-- 
1.6.2.rc0.81.g1e300