Subject: Re: Git on MSys broken

From: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:52:16 +0100

Nico -telmich- Schottelius said the following on 26.02.2009 20:56:
> Well, it's already known, but the the hint from 
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=133 (found only
> from http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=176)
> 
> to install a differnt dll can just be considered a dirty hack.
> 
> Sorry msys-guys, the only thing left now is a bad impression.

Well, to our defence, it's not our bug but an MSys issue. The r00t of 
the problem is the base address of the msys dll, and that relocating 
it for some reason breaks. So, in the end it depends on you system, 
and which DLLs msys will pull in there, and what those DLLs base 
address is. If they collide, and the msys dll need to relocate on your 
machine, this bug may manifest itself.

AFAIK someone on the team is looking into it, but the team is rather 
small and have limited resources. Any help would be greatly 
appreciated, especially from people that can reproduce the error, 
which I can't :-(

--
.marius