Subject: Re: jgit and ignore

From: "Ferry Huberts (Pelagic)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:06:21 +0100

Jon Smirl wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Ferry Huberts (Pelagic)
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>>> Jon Smirl <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> I'm using jgit in eclipse. Works great for me.
>>> Yay!
>>>
>>>> I have a couple of generated files in my working directory. There
>>>> doesn't seem to be any UI for ignoring them. Is it there and I just
>>>> can't find it?
>>> EGit doesn't (yet) honor the .gitignore files like it should. Someone
>>> (Ferry i-forget-the-rest-of-his-name) is working on adding ignore
>>> support and has patches in flight for at least some of it.
>>>
>> Ferry i-do-remember-my-name Huberts is working on it :-)
>>
>> I have most of it working in a basic form already but am currently
>> refactoring things to take care of some nasty little details.
>> Expect something to arrive within (my best guesstimate) about 3 to 4
>> weeks. after next week I'll be skiing for a week, so no coding then :-)
>>
>> For the new functionality:
>> You don't really need a UI: just add a .gitignore file with a pattern
>> and the plugin will pick it up and show you what is ignored by means of
>> a nice little decoration.
> 
> I expected it to work by right clicking the file and picking
> team/ignore. This would add the file name .gitignore and automatically
> add .gitignore to my commit. It would also alter the eclipse filter to
> make the file disappear in the eclipse browser.
> 

that'll come later, first we need to ignore the same files as git :-)

which eclipse browser?

BTW. the plugin will not look at the eclipse filter for ignore files
once I've finished the implementation. that's the only way to make sure
that we ignore resources in exactly the same way as git does: git only
ignores on the basis of .gitignore files, command line options (we do
not have those for the plugin), and the info/exclude file in the repository.