Subject: Re: jgit and ignore

From: Tor Arne Vestbø <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:21:57 +0100

Jon Smirl wrote:
> I have a C/C++ perspective open right now. Navigator is on the left,
> editor in the middle, outline on the right. In the navigator there are
> several files that should be ignored. I'd like to right click on them
> and select team/ignore. When I do that they will be ignored in git and
> also disappear from my navigator.

That would be Team->Add to .gitignore, as Eclipse does not have a way to
add files to the global ignore from context menus, but I agree, we
should have something like that eventually.

If we were to also remove ignored files from the views we would have to
either add a View Filter for .git-ignored files, or for globally ignored
files. Good idea for enhancement, please report in the issue tracker:

    http://code.google.com/p/egit/issues/

> I also don't like how I have a global .git for all of my projects
> instead of a .git for each project individually. (Did I select that
> when I first installed egit and didn't know what I was doing?) Now I'm
> in a mess and can't publish individual projects.

That's a result of choosing "Create repository in project's parent
directory" when you shared the project in Eclipse.

Perhaps we should try to detect if the project is a Java (/JDT) project,
or otherwise likely to be a "child"-project, where it makes sense to
have the repository in the parent directory?

Tor Arne