Subject: Re: jgit and ignore

From: Tor Arne Vestbø <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 18:51:54 +0100

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>> Just to be clear, I noticed you left out the global core.excludesfile
>> (from ~/.gitconfig) here. I guess this intentional?
> 
> No, I didn't.  core.excludesfile is read from the config, the config
> is a union of /etc/gitconfig, ~/.gitconfig, and GIT_DIR/config.  The
> last setting wins.

Ah, I see, I thought each config was read in a separate steps. Thanks
for clearing that up.

>> Either way, I full agree that we should honor all repository ignores
>> (whether they are in directory .gitignores, info/exclude, or given by
>> repository-specific core.excludesfile).
> 
> Right.  See my reply to Ferry, we union all of them together, but in
> the case of core.excludesfile we have to honor what the repository
> is telling us is the correct setting for that one repository,
> which may differ from other repositories if it has been overridden.

Yepp, full ack.

Tor Arne