Subject: Re: Using Git with windows

From: Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 18:29:25 +0000

Pascal Obry wrote:
> Robin Rosenberg a écrit :
>> I think that worked fine when I tried using cygwin's apache. Mixing a cygwin
>> git with a win32 apache did not work well.
> 
> Well, I tried with lighttpd IIRC. I do not want Apache just for browsing
> a Git repo.
> 
Pascal, I also installed lighttpd on cygwin, just so that I could test gitweb
and cgit (I have Apache installed on Linux).  I had a few problems getting it
to work at first. Only later did I notice that "git-instaweb" didn't work.
Having fixed the installation problems earlier, I fixed git-instaweb and then
forgot to send in the patch. Oops... Patch on the way... ;-)

[I had intended to make several other changes and submit it later...]

You may also notice that "git-instaweb" does not provide the git-logo.png
and git-favicon.png; so if that bothers you, just copy those files from
your git repo into the target repo's .git/gitweb directory. (That was one
of the things I was going to look at fixing)

<off-topic>
Note: if you decide to try cgit, then be aware that lighttpd has a bug which
causes problems with mixed-case pathnames in the pathinfo. lighttpd down-cases
the filename part of the pathinfo when on a case insensitive filesystem, so
cgit can't find the corresponding blob. (This is not a problem with gitweb).

I sent a fix for this bug to (who I thought was) the lighttpd maintainer, but
didn't get any response; so don't count on a fix for this.

An amusing, but impractical, workaround for this is to name your document root
something like /123 ie the path is numeric (and so does not differ in case ;-)
[lighttpd uses a runtime test of the case-sensitive-ness of the document root
pathname to control this behaviour]

Also, I could not get lighttpd to execute a cgi program with an ".exe" extension
so I had to create a simple script, viz:

$ cat /var/www/cgit/cgit.cgi
#!/bin/sh
exec /var/www/cgit/cgit.cgi.exe
$
<off-topic>

ATB,
Ramsay Jones