Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] grep: color search patterns

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:38:51 +0100

Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy schrieb:
> On 3/7/09, René Scharfe <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Match coloring is a major missing feature of git grep.  It makes reading
>>  the output much easier and brings grep onto the same visual level as the
>>  other colorized git commands.
> 
> "git --color test" did not colorize the result for me. "git --color
> --no-ext-grep test" did. Maybe you should ignore external grep unless
> it is explicitly requested, like in the last patch. I have very
> limited net access these days. Let's see if I can work out something
> for tomorrow, unless you beat me to it.

I assume with "last patch" you mean your last patch, right?  It
automatically switched to internal grep if coloring was turned on.

Patch 5 of my series adds support for coloring external greps, but you
have to explicitly specify the config option grep.color.external.  It
can be set by distributors in the system config file -- they should know
which grep option is needed.

But I can see that a half-colored git grep can be confusing.

René