Subject: Re: git doc build failure on OS X 10.5.6 (Leopard) during xmlto phase

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:29:01 +0100

Todd Zullinger venit, vidit, dixit 12.03.2009 18:09:
> Michael J Gruber wrote:
>> Following up on this:
>> On Fedora 10, I have asciidoc 8.2.5 and docbook 1.7.4 xsl's. For
>> proper man and html doc, I have to set DOCBOOK_XSL_172=Yes but leave
>> ASCIIDOC8 unset! I always forget, though (just like the packagers).
> 
> Check the fedora git packages in rawhide, we don't set ASCIIDOC8. :)

I was unclear, but I meant forgetting to set DOCB... But:

> I experimented with that and found it did not improve things.  We are
> only setting DOCBOOK_XSL_172.  Without that, we get the '.ft C'
> droppings.  With it, we get non-ascii characters in various places
> (where bold should be used to make the (1) notations stand out, for
> example).  This was filed as:
> 
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=485161

I hadn't noticed that yet (neither the effect nor the report). So, you
kept it unset intentionally and for a good reason. Please accept my apology!

> 
> I didn't add DOCBOOK_XSL_172 to the F-10 packages yet, because I know
> that it fixes one problem and causes another.  Either way, we'd be
> shipping packages with known brokeness.  I chose to stick with keeping
> the currently broken '.ft C' behavior.  Pick your poison. ;)
> 
> One of the fedora/red hat folks that works on the xmlto and docbook
> packages was going to take a look, as I very much don't understand the
> documentation stack.  :/
> 
> Anyone who does is very welcome to help find the culprit(s) and help
> get fixes to the proper places.

So the easy solution is out again, quite a pitty. The problem occurs on
F10 as well as F11/rawhide, right?

On a related issue: Does anybody know which asciidoc versions need
asciidoc7compatible to be set? 8.2.5 and above certainly don't, so we
should not advise using it. asciidoc's hg repo doesn't go back much more
(the initial revision does not need it either), and I haven't dug for
their earlier history yet.

Michael J Gruber