Subject: Re: git checkout -b origin/mybranch origin/mybranch

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:08:17 +0100

John Tapsell venit, vidit, dixit 12.03.2009 15:14:
> 2009/3/12 Sverre Rabbelier <[email-masked]>:
>> Heya,
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 14:18, John Tapsell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Is probably a mistake by the user.  We should warn the user and point
>>> them in the right direction.
>>
>> The point is that we _already_ warned the user (like Dscho pointed
>> out), and that(as you pointed out), it didn't work :P.
> 
> Just doing:
> 
> git branch -b origin/master origin/master
> 
> gives no error or warning at all.

...and it really should not. If you have a repo with lots of remotes and
tracking branches, it makes a lot of sense to have a local branch
reponame/branchname which tracks the remote branch reponame/branchname.
Note that the first is refs/heads/reponame/branchname whereas the latter
is refs/remotes/reponame/branchname. It gives warnings when it's
ambiguous, yay.

Michael J Gruber