Subject: Re: Effective Posting

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:29:24 +0100

John Dlugosz schrieb:
> If you can tell me how to make Outlook insert >'s in front of a block
>  of text, I'm all ears.  I can't find any kind of "quote content" or 
> "paste as quotation" on the menus, or any option to do anything with 
> the original message other than to put it at the end with ---original
>  message--- in front of it.  This was the best I could figure out 
> that was useful, and gets replies threaded (mostly) properly.

Tools -> Options -> Preferences -> E-mail Options, set "When replying to
a message" to "Prefix each line of the original message".

> While you're at it, how do you tell Outlook to always start a message
>  in "plain text" (not HTML) based on the target address, like 
> Thunderbird does?

Tools -> Options -> Mail Format, set "Compose in this message format" to
"Plain Text".

> Alternatively, tell me how to reply using the Gmane web viewer, or 
> point me to another web-based viewer that shows current content.

No idea.  But why not use a real mail user agent?

> Or, the mailing list server could translate Outlook's visible 
> interspersed quotes (the original message is blue, new typing is 
> black) with a uniform quote style that is specified in each 
> subscriber's preference settings.

Avoiding garbage is better than converting it to something useful.  If
someone wrote an Outlook mail sanitizer, I'd probably use it at work,
too, though.

> Could be worse.  Ever use Lotus Notes?

Yes, long ago, and thankfully I don't remember much about it.  There's
always a way to do worse -- that's small comfort.

René