Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] Documentation: minor grammatical fixes in git-archive.txt.

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:18:17 +0100

David J. Mellor venit, vidit, dixit 17.03.2009 07:16:
> Signed-off-by: David J. Mellor <[email-masked]>
[replying to the first patch since there's no cover letter]

For patches like this one, I wish we had a robust way of using "git
format-patch --color-words"... "Robust" as in "working for most
recipients + git-am".

So I applied your series locally and checked the --color-words diff.
Nice work, all 4 of them!

One minor reoccurring issue is the following type of construct:

###
The good/bad input is logged, and:

------------
$ git bisect log
------------

shows what you have done so far.
###

The first line is not a complete sentence. Neither is the last one,
which you have to read together with the code inset (that's fine), which
on the other belongs to the sentence started in line 1.

All of the above constitutes 1 sentence and should not be chopped in
parts by the colon.

I know this construct is somewhat common, but I don't think it is
correct. In any case it disrupts the reading flow. [In fact, that
disruption is the very reason why it is sometimes used in the middle of
a written sentence: as a substitute for the rhetoric element "pause".]

In the example above your patch introduces it, in other places it has
been used before. So this might my an opportunity to get rid of it
consistently ;)

Michael