Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-branch.txt: document -f correctly

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:51:08 +0100

John Dlugosz venit, vidit, dixit 17.03.2009 17:07:
> ===  Re: ===
> BTW, I noticed that 'git-subcmd' is used everywhere in here which does
> not feel right, but I followed the existing style, leaving a consistent
> clean-up for a later patch. Also, typesetting is inconsistent:
> We have <branch> as well as `<branch>` when the text talks about the
> options. Do we have a style guide or such?
> === end ===
> 
> I would agree that being factually correct and available immediately
> trumps being wrong but pretty.

I can't really make much sense out of this but I guess I doesn't matter.
In any case, by "style guide" I mean something saying "write options as
monospaced", "write git commands without dash unless in links"...

> As an experienced writer and editor, the documentation is something I
> might hack long before I tackle the code.  I see you edited a file with
> .txt extension, and some kind of markup that's not the HTML files I'm
> reading.  Beyond any kind of style guide, is there a guide to the
> documentation _system_ in use?

It's asciidoc. Rather, asciidoc 7ish, current asciidoc is at 8.4.1.
The backticks are used for displaying commands, e.g., and usually come
out as monospaced in html, underlined in man.

Cheers,
Michael