Subject: Re: Merge format documented?

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:17:07 +0100

Junio C Hamano schrieb:
> Andreas Gruenbacher <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> On Monday, 23 March 2009 4:50:24 Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>> Andreas Gruenbacher <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>> is the format that git normally uses for indicating merge conflicts in
>>>> files (the <<< === >>> markers) documented somewhere?  How exactly does
>>>> it differ from the diff3 format (<<< ||| === >>>)?  Diff3's -m mode seems
>>>> to come close to what git does, except that git doesn't produce the |||
>>>> section:
>>> It is an imitation of output from "merge" program of RCS suite Paul you
>>> know maintains ;-)
>> So it's the same format except that diff3's ||| section isn't shown. I was 
>> wondering if there are any additional tricks.
> 
> No additional tricks.

I think there's one additional trick: git moves common parts of the
conflict section outside of the conflict markers, and it even splits the
sections into two if there are common parts between two conflicting lines.

(But that doesn't change how the conflict markers look.)

-- Hannes