Subject: Re: Reference for git.git release process

From: Raman Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:03:02 -0400

Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> "After a feature release is made from "master", however, "next" will
>> be rebuilt from the tip of "master" using the surviving topics"
>>
>> Does this mean:
>>
>> git branch -d next
>> git checkout -b next master
>> git merge ai/topic1_to_cook_in_next
>> git merge ai/topic2_to_cook_in_next
> 
> That is more-or-less correct, even though I'd actually do either
> 
> 	git branch -f next master
> 
> or
> 
> 	git checkout next
>         git reset --hard master
> 
> instead of deleting and recreating.

Is that a stylistic preference or does your approach have some
advantage over the delete/create? Doesn't git branch -f internally
delete and re-create?

This whole approach seems really workable and powerful -- the only
concern I had with this workflow was the difficult to understand
visualization of the history. So to repeat my earlier question: Are
there some canned gitk invocations, or other tips/tricks/approaches,
that can be used to make the visualization of the integration and
topic branches more intuitive?

Within the next couple of days I will probably submit a patch to
maintain-git.txt that includes the information you have relayed to me
here, as I think it may be useful to others.

Cheers,
Raman