Subject: Git Download/Bootstrap Suggestion

From: Mike Gaffney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:09:21 -0500

I may be missing something, but I would like to request that 
http://git-scm.com/download provide a link to a tarball of the actual 
git clone of the current repository with the repo parked on the latest 
stable. What I mean is that for most of my systems I build git off of 
source but I like to be able to just git pull when I want to update 
them. Currently what I have to do is
- download the source tarball (or the rpm)
- make it
- install it
- use that git clone the real repo
- checkout the newest tag
- make configure
- configure
- make
- make install

It'd be a lot cooler if I could just wget a full get repo on the latest 
tag :)

Just a request, Thanks
    -Mike