Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Add feature release instructions to gitworkflows man page

From: Raman Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:59:17 -0400

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> [email-masked] writes:
> 
>> From: Raman Gupta <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Based on a mailing list discussion, add a description of the workflow,
>> and associated commands, for creating a feature release.
> 
> The same comment applies to the other one, but this commit log message is
> really lacking.  If you do not bother to summarize the discussion, place a
> pointer to the list archive, and more importantly, please describe *why*
> this change is desiable.

Ok will do.

> I am not sure rewinding and rebuilding of 'next', or even having 'next',
> is applicable for other projects as a BCP.  

Hmmm... The existing gitworkflows man page discusses the 'next' branch
several times. I am simply expanding the document to cover the branch
management associated with the git.git release process as well, which
necessarily includes a discussion of 'next'.

If you wish to remove discussion of 'next' from this document, that is
probably better done in a separate followup change. Though personally
I think its a useful concept for readers to learn about as they are
setting up their own workflows.

> Other parts (except for the "branch -f" bit I've already told you
> about in the other message) looked good.

I'll add some discussion about the branch -f bit -- I hope you agree
that in this document that is distributed with git, some
beginner-level explanation of the difference between the branch -f and
the merge approach is warranted?

Cheers,
Raman