Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/8] archive: use index instead of parsing tree directly

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 23:02:35 +0200

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy schrieb:
> Currently:
> 
>  - "git archive" parses trees directly
>  - attr mechanism does not support in-tree attributes
> 
> Making attr.c support in-tree attributes is quite a non-trivial task,
> IMHO. Instead this patch makes "git archive" read tree to index first,
> then start exporting from there.
> 
> One minor regression: "git archive" now will no longer generate
> directory entries, only files.

I don't like the need to prepare an index of all paths up front, but
that's just a gut feeling.  I haven't looked into implementing in-tree
attribute support in attr.c; is it really that hard?  Other commands
would benefit from this, too, right (e.g. any command using attributes
in a bare repo)?

René