Subject: Re: [PATCH] fetch: Strip usernames from url's before storing them

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 20:08:21 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> The reason for this patch is that we published some repositories publicly
>> a week or two ago and one such malicious person started attacking all our
>> public servers with the usernames found in the commit messages.
> 
> Interesting.  Do you also worry about the names on committer and author
> lines?

We don't refuse anyone who's allowed to push by file-permissions. Perhaps
we should, but we don't. This was discovered as a nasty after-shock, and
"unfortunately" a bunch of people are already working with the commits
exposed by the code. Since we're not really affected at all by the bad
parts of the code, we've decided not to bother rewriting history. We'd
rather keep life simple for our contributors (we're not as lively a
community as git, so we can't afford to lose half a dozen just to protect
ourselves; It's better to just alter those usernames and keep going with
the history we've got).

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.