Subject: Change git gui language (+ some other suggestions)

From: Kai Schlamp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:32:36 +0200

Hello.

I know this had been discussed before
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/61884/match=git+gui+language), 

but in my opinion there is no acceptable solution yet.
When I set LANG=en it also changes my keyboard layout and thats quite
confusing. But the German terms used in git gui are even more confusing
(I was even shocked when starting it the first time). People using git
generally know what e.g. "commit" is. But the german translation
("Eintragen") seems to me a bad joke. I had to look at some screenshots
of the english gui to find out what it is all about.
I would suggest to keep the git idenfiers (like commit, push, pull,
....) in foreign languages.
And please have an option to choose the language of the complete gui.
Most developers I know of like to use tools in english, even if that is
not their native language.
Another thing I miss a bit is an option to select old commit messages
(like the TortoiseHg client of the Mercurial project has).
And a last one. It would be nice to have a menu item to add all
untracked files at once. I had to add my own "Tool" for that.
But apart from that (to not only nag ;-)), git gui is quite comfortable.

Fine regards,
Kai