Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Documentation: git-clean: make description more readable

From: Stephen Boyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 01:04:16 -0700

Wesley J. Landaker wrote:
> The main reason I took that out in my patch was because I think the second 
> sentence more says the same thing, except more clearly, and the exact 
> semantics of "files unknown to git" versus "ignored files", etc seem to not have 
> good definitions anyway, so I left that for the second paragraph that talks 
> about how '-x' changes things.
If you want to keep it, maybe change it to be more active. Something like:

    Cleans the working tree by removing files that are not under version
control.

> So I might edit yours to say:
>
> Specifying the '-x' option will also remove ignored files. This is useful to 
> remove, for example, generated files that are normally ignored.

The "for example" just comes sticking out again. Could you put it at the
beginning of the sentence?

> I left the part about '-x' there mostly because it was already in there, so I 
> figured someone at some point thought it was special enough. I didn't want to 
> undo any good decisions that had already been made. =) That said, both -x and 
> -X are somewhat special because they change the behavior a LOT compared to, 
> say, -d.

So maybe -X should be described as well?