Subject: Re: merging multiple commit into one?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 15:31:54 +0200

jean-luc malet wrote:
> Hi,
> I often commit "useless" code, for example before going into weekend
> or for saving some state during a dev process
> often thoses commit are simply useless and the commit message looks
> like "COMPILE ERROR - temporary save .... "
> at the end I have LOT of theses commits that are useless and I want to
> save some space/time/tree complexity merge multiple sequential commits
> (without branch) into one
> is it possible?
> according to my knowledge of git, removing the commit and rewriting
> the last commit log so that it better reflect the modification will do
> the job but I'm not sure git allow it...
> thanks

git commit --amend; # to extend last commit only
git merge --squash; # I think. Not sure though, so read the docs
git rebase -i; # replace "pick" with "squash" to combine commits.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Register now for Nordic Meet on Nagios, June 3-4 in Stockholm
 http://nordicmeetonnagios.op5.org/

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.