Subject: Re: Cross-Platform Version Control

From: Esko Luontola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 08:34:19 +0300

Johannes Schindelin wrote on 13.5.2009 3:23:
> Well, that rather settles things, no?
> 

There is need for the feature, but it's unfortunate that the Git 
developers do not see its value. There are many users for whom using 
non-ASCII names is necessary (for example all of Asia and most of 
Europe), but now it seems that Bazaar is the only DVCS that handles 
encodings correctly: 
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/829682/what-dvcs-support-unicode-filenames

Let's see if I have time later this or next year to work on it. At least 
it would be good practise in getting acquainted with a new codebase and 
learning C. But it would be better for someone else do it, to get it 
done within a reasonable amount of time.

I see that there are some tests in the /t directory. Which command will 
run all of them, how good coverage do the tests have, how reproducable 
and isolated they are, how many seconds does it take to run all the 
tests? Is there some high-level documentation for new developers?

-- 
Esko Luontola
www.orfjackal.net