Subject: Re: git push origin error (1.6.3 new default functionality)

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 10:44:33 +0200

Context: This is about the warning that a plain "git push" produces if no
push refspec are configured. The default behavior is to push matching
branches.

Jeff King schrieb:
> Or are you proposing to still change the default behavior, but drop the
> warning whose aim is to inform people about the impending change? In
> that case, I think you should address the concerns that arose from
> previous changes in default behavior (and which this warning is meant to
> address), and propose an alternate plan for making the transition more
> smooth.

Unfortunately, the case with this warning is not that "simple" because it
is not about a planned change of the default behavior, but about a default
behavior that may be unexpected for newbies (see the release notes of
1.6.3). I *can* understand that Caleb is upset by the warning, since he's
comfortable with the (current and future) default behavior. But I don't
know what to do in cases like these.

-- Hannes