Subject: Re: Cross-Platform Version Control

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 19:24:53 +0200

John Tapsell wrote:
> 2009/5/13 Jay Soffian <[email-masked]>:
>> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Alex Riesen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> 2009/5/13 Jay Soffian <[email-masked]>:
>>>> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 6:41 AM, John Tapsell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>> I don't know why the git developers are being so hostile/dismisisve,
>>>> Are you serious?
>>>>
>>> ...because we'll kill you if aren't >:-E
>> I'm just flabbergasted by some people's expectations. Perhaps John
>> doesn't realize the git developers are all volunteers, and that it is
>> never appropriate to criticize a volunteer. A "thank you for all your
>> hard work on git" would have done nicely.
> 
> I'm as much of an open source developer as anyone else here.  I spend
> a huge amount of my time programming for KDE.  But I've never told a
> user "well that settles it" because they won't code it themselves :-/
> I certaintly get a huge number of bug/wishes that I can't/won't code
> myself, but I try to be a bit more diplomatic about it.
> But then the kernel mailing lists tend to be a lot more.. direct..
> than the kde mailing lists, so I guess it comes from that.  Requiring
> people to have a thick skin and all that.
> 

I think much of the perceived malignancy stems from the fact that the
git list has a high ratio of developer-to-luser mailings on it, being
by nature a developer tool most of the time. When the unaware user
appears on the list with demands rather than polite requests, they're
treated that much harder. Especially by the developer who happens to
be, as it were, the butt of the request.

Personally, I've only ever found Dscho being anything but friendly on
this list, and even then, I really didn't find it offensive. If viewed
in a happy mood, it matches quite nicely with a swedish sketch whose
theme is "men ja ente bitter". It's often quite funny, really :-)

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Register now for Nordic Meet on Nagios, June 3-4 in Stockholm
 http://nordicmeetonnagios.op5.org/

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.