Subject: Re: Request for detailed documentation of git pack protocol

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 17:02:26 +0200

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> 
> In loopback mode for local file URIs, it may become an issue.  C Git
> is just getting lucky by the pipe size I think.  Though I thought I
> read somewhere yesterday pipe FIFOs in Linux were being allocated
> at 512 bytes, not one system page.  Of course other systems could
> allocate whatever size they want too, and may allocate something
> below the 2952 minimum, and we'd most likely see a deadlock on them.
> 

Linux allocates one page 4096 bytes for a FIFO. 512 is the maximum
size guaranteed by POSIX to result in an atomic write.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Register now for Nordic Meet on Nagios, June 3-4 in Stockholm
 http://nordicmeetonnagios.op5.org/

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.