Subject: Re: Cross-Platform Version Control

From: Esko Luontola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 22:58:17 +0300

Peter Krefting wrote on 14.5.2009 16:48:
> Is it really necessary to store the encoding for every single file name, 
> should it not be enough to just store encoding information for all file 
> names at once (i.e., for the object that contains the list of file names 
> and their associated blobs)?

What about if some disorganized project has people committing with many 
different encodings? Should we allow it, that a directory has the names 
of some files using one encoding, and the names of other files using 
another encoding? Or should we force the whole repository to use the 
same encoding?

> The best way would be to define this in the Git core once and for all, 
> and add support to it for all the platforms in the same go, instead of 
> trying to hack around the issue whenever it pops up on the various 
> platforms.

+1

-- 
Esko Luontola
www.orfjackal.net