Subject: Re: git-svn fetch

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:10:55 +0200

Doki Pen venit, vidit, dixit 29.05.2009 17:09:
> I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, I did look through the 
> archive and didn't see it.  
> 
> I am working with a repo that has about 7000 commits and about 100 
> branches/tags.  I've been using git-svn for about 4 months now and love 
> it.  The problem I'm experiencing is that everytime a new branch is added, 
> git svn fetch seems to download the entire history all the way from r1.  
> Is this the expected behavior?  If so, why is that?  Don't we already have 
> the old revisions from trunk and other branches?  
> 

AFAIK git-svn has to go back in order to search for possible earlier
history of $newbranch. For git-svn, the following two scenarios are
basically equivalent:

- a new branch is added to the svn repo
- you change your git-svn config so that a new branch becomes
"interesting" (which had been skipped before)

git-svn treats them the same way ("a branch we don't know about yet"),
because it can't really (reliably) distinguish between them.

Michael