Subject: Re: Request for detailed documentation of git pack protocol

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 09:17:27 +0200

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> 
> Servers MUST accept include-tag without error or warning, even if the
> server does not understand or support the option.
> 
> Servers SHOULD pack the tags if their referrant is packed and the
> client has requested include-tag.
> 
> Clients MUST be prepared for the case where a server has ignored
> include-tag and has not actually sent tags in the pack.  In such
> cases the client SHOULD issue a subsequent fetch to acquire the
> tags that include-tag would have otherwise given the client.
> 

How is "no tags present" signalled? Without such a signal, the client
must always issue a subsequent request every time there are no tags
embedded in the received pack, as it can't know if the server ignored
the option silently or if there just aren't any new tags.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Register now for Nordic Meet on Nagios, June 3-4 in Stockholm
 http://nordicmeetonnagios.op5.org/

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.