Subject: Re: [PATCH] format-patch: add --prefix to prepend a prefix to output file names

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 14:37:01 +0200

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy wrote:
> I use git to manages patches in my Gentoo development. In Gentoo,
> all ebuilds (another form of RPM spec) corresponding to different
> versions of the same package are grouped into one directory. So patches
> for each versions usually have a prefix to separate them from the ones
> for other versions. With --prefix it comes handy to produce such patches,
> for example:
> 
> git format-patch --prefix dbus-1.2.3- HEAD~5
> 
> will generate patches for dbus-1.2.3 for me, all starting with "dbus-1.2.3-".
> 
> This might be handy for RPM developers as well.
> 

I'm thinking this could be confused with '--subject-prefix' which was
given the long option to *not* confuse it with cover-letters and filename
prefixes. Any chance you could make it --filename-prefix instead? Since
it already lacks a short option, the extra typing will probably be worth
it to avoid unnecessary confusion.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.