Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-format-patch, git-send-email: generate/handle escaped >From

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:58:36 +0200

> But of course, which conversion you want depends entirely on what you
> are going to feed it to, and which mbox they are expecting. Which is why
> it really should be configurable.
> 
> Your use case looks to be feeding it to send-email

Almost, :-) because git-send-email does not support sending multiple 
messages out of one mbox file.  I have an upcoming patch to add this 
support, and I was just "feeling the waters" before posting it.

> I suspect you would
> be better served by improving the 'From ' detection in send-email,
> probably to something like:
> 
>   /^From \S+ \w{3} \w{3} \d+ \d\d:\d\d:\d\d \d+/
> 
> though that may be too strict. It would probably make sense to steal one
> from one of the many mbox-reading CPAN modules.

Good idea.  I'll let others speak and can make this configurable (as 
well as use the s/^>*From />&/ conversion), but if no one speaks, I'll 
change my git-send-email patch to use the above regex or a similar one, 
and withdraw this patch.

Thanks for the prompt remark!

Paolo