Subject: Re: [PATCH] format-patch: add --filename-prefix to prepend a prefix to output file names

From: Stephen Boyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:46:45 -0700

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Isn't the point of the exercise to come up with something like:
>
>       frotz-0001-first-patch-in-frotz-topic.patch
>       frotz-0002-second-patch-in-frotz-topic.patch
>       frotz-0003-third-patch-in-frotz-topic.patch
>
>       nitfol-0001-first-patch-in-nitfol-topic.patch
>       nitfol-0002-second-patch-in-nitfol-topic.patch
>
> with two invocations of format-patch, and when they are dropped in the
> same directory, the patches from the same series clump together?

Ok. Maybe spelling out the full example in the commit message would be
clearer.

>
> I personally do not think this is worth the additional code (you can
> easily run with --outdir=frotz and then with --outdir=nitfol and obtain
> frotz/000?-*.patch and nitfol/000?-*.patch to get the same clumping) but
> if the convention is to use dash instead of slash, the patch will save one
> step from users.

I agree. How is it any harder to do 'git send-email frotz' instead of
'git send-email frotz-*.patch'? The only advantage I see is you get
attachment filenames with a prefix.