Subject: Re: [PATCH] daemon: send stderr of service programs to the syslog

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:43:34 -0700

Johannes Sixt wrote:
> On Sonntag, 14. Juni 2009, Johannes Sixt wrote:
>>  I don't know whether service programs like upload-archive or upload-pack
>>  write progress report to stderr or not, for example, if a client does not
>>  support side-bands. In this case this patch is probably not enough since
>>  this would fill the log with unneeded progress information. Any hints
>>  are appreciated.
> 
> The progress indicator can be helped . But there is now another anoyance: If 
> the client terminates the connection early, this is now logged as:
> 
> fatal: unable to run 'git-upload-pack'
> 
> The reason for this is that upload-pack is run as 'git upload-pack', which 
> itself spawns the external 'git-upload-pack'. The latter dies from a SIGPIPE, 
> and the former, in execv_dashed_external(), dutyfully writes this down.
> 
> The easiest solution is perhaps to make upload-pack a builtin.
> 
> BUT... The motivation, of which this patch is actually a fall-out, is to clean 
> up the messy error behavor of the start,finish,run_command family. To take 
> care of this error message is just one more (hopefully small) point on my 
> agenda.
> 

We probably do want to log that the client has disconnected.

	-hpa