Subject: Re: git svn's performance on cloning mono's branches/tags...

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 07:15:05 +0200

Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> (I'm not on list so please CC) - I am trying to git svn clone mono's
> repository, and for some strange reason it is doing a complete check
> out from revision 1 all the way to each branch/tag . Is this normal or
> am I doing anything wrong? I have git svn clone a few other things
> recently (R, ghostscript) and I don't remember git doing this, but R
> is quite a normal svn layout and I think I only have ghostcript trunk
> (no branch/tag).
> 
> What I did was this: I started out with just git-svn clone trunk
> (which generated the first two [now-commented out] lines), then I
> thought I also want 2.4 branch so I added the next commented-out
> section, and ran 'git svn fetch --all'. Then I thought I like the
> whole thing - so I commented out most of it and added the 4 lines as
> blow - which is also my current git config.
> 
> The problem is that it seems to treat every tag as a branch,

This is normal. SVN makes no real distinction between tags and branches,
so git-svn has no way of detecting which is which. SVN also allows
committing to "tags", so it doesn't make sense for git to store what
SVN calls tags as git tags.

As for your other questions, I don't know.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.