Subject: Re: Official git repository history?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:33:20 +0200

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>> git repository? Was the first 8 C source code files already enough to
>>> work as a basic git repository?
>> He did it very well, and Yes.
> 
> Wow, very impressive! Such a little code, yet already workable.
> 

Indeed. The git concept is an extremely simple one. The complexity comes
when you start optimizing it, really. Producing packfiles today requires
more code than made up all of git at its inception. Simple models can
easily be extended with complex algorithms, while complex models generally
require the simplest possible algorithm to work reliably. This design
lesson has served me well over the years.

> 
>> You would need to check out an old revision, say v0.99, and look at the
>> original tutorial by Linus in Documentation/tutorial.txt.  It was since
> 
> 
> Last night I played further with the first ever commit. I managed to
> figure out the sequence in which commands had to be run. Kudos to the
> people that decided the make the commands easier in the later versions. :-)
> 

Cheers. There's about 650 of us, so that's a lot of kudos ;-)

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.