Subject: Re: Bug report: .gitattributes: -diff Unset causes files to be reported as binaries

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:29:30 +0200

>>> If -diff affects whether a file is treated as a binary, as opposed
>>> whether it's diff'ed, it would imo make sense to call it -binary.
>> No, diff affects how a file is diffed.  The particular setting "-diff"
>> diffs the file as if it was binary.
>
> Aha, then we're maybe at conclusion; if -diff doesn't cause the files to be
                                                 ^^^^^^^

???

> treated as binaries

Reread carefully.

1) There is no "-diff" attribute.  There is a "diff" attribute that 
affects *how* (not *whether*) files are diff.

2) A "-" in front of an attribute unsets the attribute.

3) The "diff" attribute, when unset, treats the file as binary.

ergo

4) Using "-diff" in .gitattributes treats the final as binary.

Paolo