Subject: Re: Parallell Development / Switching to GIT

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:55:12 +0200

Please don't top-post on this list.

Patrick Neuner - Futureweb.at schrieb:
>> You cannot have refs/heads/dev and refs/heads/dev/featureA at the same
>> time, just like you cannot have a file and a directory with the same
>> name
>> at the same time. In fact, the refs "database" is implemented as
>> physical
>> files on the file system.
> 
> ok, I see, well then this howto (at the end of page) seems to be misleading. 
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/update-hook-example.txt
> as it actually works with the update hook, but not with git itself. 

Are you refering to the example line such as

        refs/heads/bw/.*	linus

? Of course, you can have refs/heads/dev/featureA in your repository (and
the shortened branch name would obviously be "dev/featureA"), but then you
cannot have a branch named "dev", i.e. refs/heads/dev.

I don't see how the cited document would be misleading in this regard.

-- Hannes