Subject: Re: [RFC] Git User's Survey 2009 - second trial run, and question about announcing it

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:14:20 +0200

Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Jakub Narebski<[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> It's just that somehow for "Git Development Community" a mailing list
>> is enough.  We don't have official git blog, we don't have bugtracker
>> (issue tracker).  At the beginning git didn't even had _homepage_.
> 
> How do you know that? Have you already asked that question in a survey
> already? ;)
> 

The git developer community flourishes without official blogs, and it
did so even before we had a webpage. In truth, I visit the mailing
list archives more often than I visit the webpage. It doesn't *need* a
blog (or a forum, or a tracker, or whatever), but some people might
find such things helpful. Personally, I'm a huge fan of having it all
in one place.

> As an experiment I added http://gitrss.q42.co.uk/announce.rss to my
> Google Reader, and through some tricks you can actually see how many
> people are subscribed to that feed: 26. For reference
> gitlog.wordpress.com has 28, and Planet IM, a relatively unknown
> planet: 844.
> 
> And I have many friends who don't follow git's mailing list, so no, I
> don't think a mailing list is enough for official announcements.
> 

There are no forums suitable for everyone who are interested in git
development. We can (sort of) rely on package maintainers for the
various distros to keep track of groundbreaking changes. People who
compile from source are sort of on their own if they don't want to
follow the mailing list or in some other way find out what's going
on. I don't have a problem with that, and it matches what I'd have
expected myself if I was building something from source.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.