Subject: Re: [RFC] Git User's Survey 2009 - second trial run, and question about announcing it

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 15:14:09 +0200

Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Andreas Ericsson<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Felipe Contreras wrote:
> 
>>> As an experiment I added http://gitrss.q42.co.uk/announce.rss to my
>>> Google Reader, and through some tricks you can actually see how many
>>> people are subscribed to that feed: 26. For reference
>>> gitlog.wordpress.com has 28, and Planet IM, a relatively unknown
>>> planet: 844.
>>>
>>> And I have many friends who don't follow git's mailing list, so no, I
>>> don't think a mailing list is enough for official announcements.
>>>
>> There are no forums suitable for everyone who are interested in git
>> development. We can (sort of) rely on package maintainers for the
>> various distros to keep track of groundbreaking changes. People who
>> compile from source are sort of on their own if they don't want to
>> follow the mailing list or in some other way find out what's going
>> on. I don't have a problem with that, and it matches what I'd have
>> expected myself if I was building something from source.
> 
> I'm not talking about people that compile git, I'm talking about the
> bulk of the users; the ones who use package management to install git
> and most of the time don't even know which version they are running
> nor what new features are available.
> 
> In any case, you think there's no need for a blog, I think there is,
> how about the rest of the users? Isn't that a question suitable for
> asking in the survey?
> 

Not really. If you feel there's a need for a blog, just start one and
then maintain it. Problem sorted, and 3000 people needn't bother to
even think about it ;-)

If you want a 100% official git blog, then that'll be up to Junio to
do and I'm sure he will if he wants to and think there's a need for
it. Personally I think it's useful to get feedback on what people
want the actual software to do, and much less useful to get feedback
on how the community should be managed. Mostly since the community
will manage itself so long as there's interest in it, and it will do
so better without input from people who aren't actually in it. It's
for that precise reason noone should be allowed to make rules they
don't have to obey themselves.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.