Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jul 2009, #01; Mon, 06)

From: Stephen Boyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 22:39:34 -0700

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> For the following three series, I have not managed to convince myself if
> these changes have real-world needs.
>
> * sb/read-tree (Thu Jun 25 22:14:10 2009 -0700) 2 commits
>  - read-tree: migrate to parse-options
>  - read-tree: convert unhelpful usage()'s to helpful die()'s

I think the first patch is good. I am still thinking about the second
one though. Obviously rc is coming so it's not too pressing.

I've done a quick survey of parse-optification of builtins and I see
that send-pack, rev-list, and fetch-pack all set bitfields when parsing
options. Migrating these will have the same problems. I don't know if
there's really any simple answer to it though, because you can't take
the address of a bitfield. And I think it's stupid to make the bitfields
into full ints just to support parse-options.

Maybe some builtins are just never meant to be migrated. Like
update-index and its --cacheinfo option.