Subject: Re: How can I tell if a tag has been pushed, or not?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 15:44:53 +0200

layer wrote:
> Here's the problem:
> 
> I expect that users, in their own private repos, will from time to
> time create tags that should not be pushed.  Sometimes, tags that
> should be pushed will be created.
> 
> I could require that the "public" tags follow a specific convention
> (start with "release", or something).  Then, the scripts all my
> developers use could use that and push only certain tags.  However,
> over time there could be a large number of them.  It seems undesirable
> to push each tag each time a push is done.  So, how can I tell if a
> tag has already been pushed?  Is there a way?
> 

At $dayjob we only allow annotated tags to be pushed. The default
update hook works like a charm for that. All private tags are kept
un-annotated and can therefore never be pushed by accident.

/Andreas