Subject: git silently ignores aliases of existing commands

From: Michael G Schwern <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:52:49 -0700

Everyone says "git tag" does the wrong thing by default and what you really
want is an annotated tag with "git tag -a".  So I figured I'd fix the default
and in my .gitconfig added:

[alias]
    tag = tag -a

and considered it done.  Weeks later I discovered git was ignoring that alias
and I was still making lightweight tags.

It would be nice if git used the alias *before* the installed command.  This
lets me fix/change default behaviors without having to come up with a new
command.  (Another handy example:  blame = blame -w)  It doesn't do anything
useful right now anyway.

Whether or not that changes, if an alias is being ignored git should warn me.
 This informs the user their perfectly sensible action has not done what they
expected.  In addition, should git add a command in the future which conflicts
with the name of an alias they'll know.

PS  I couldn't find anything obvious about where to send bug reports / feature
requests in the git man page, just "general upbringing" pointing here.  It
would be helpful if it was a bit more clear.  None of "bug", "report" or
"issue" pointed at anything relevant.

-- 
184. When operating a military vehicle I may *not* attempt something
     "I saw in a cartoon".
    -- The 213 Things Skippy Is No Longer Allowed To Do In The U.S. Army
           http://skippyslist.com/list/